napster: civil disobedience re: copyright laws

Steve Schear schear at lvcm.com
Mon Jun 18 14:40:42 PDT 2001

At 05:07 PM 6/13/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>excerpt from the article:
>
>"...Civil disobedience in the face of copyright laws promotes the democratic
>ideal that information is a public good, thereby sustaining the Internet
>community's founding belief that 'information wants to be free.' "
>
>i didn't know (as the article explains) that the EU no longer has 'work for
>hire' boundaries. rip away...
>phillip
>
>http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1276-210-6269374-1.html?tag=bt_pr

An interesting article, but not entirely factual. The author states that,
"Historically, copyright protections were afforded to promote expressive
discourse fundamental to a democratic society." I think a bit of digging
shows that not to be the case.

 From http://webserver.law.yale.edu/censor/samuelson.htm

The Anglo-American copyright system grew from a private sector function of
the English Stationers' Guild in the 15-16th century. It mainly functioned
to regulate the book trade to ensure that members of the guild enjoyed
monopolies in the books they printed. Conveniently for English authorities,
the guild's practices provided an infrastructure for controlling (i.e.,
suppressing) publication of heretical and seditious materials. The English
kings and queens were quite willing to grant to the Stationers' Guild
control over the publication of books in the realm in exchange for the
guild's promise to refrain from printing such dangerous materials. Until
its abolition, the Star Chamber was available to back up judgments
emanating from the stationers' private enforcement and censorship system.

If the pre-modern copyright system promoted freedom of expression by making
books more widely available, this was an incidental byproduct of the market
that arose for books, not an intended purpose of the then-prevailing
copyright system. Far more harmonious was the relationship between
copyright and censorship in that era. Men burned at the stake for writing
texts that were critical of the Crown or of established religion. The
stationers' copyright regime was part of the apparatus aimed at ensuring
that these texts would not be printed or otherwise be widely accessible to
the public.

I think it would be much more accurate to say that copyright's "modern
era," which began with the Statute of Anne is about to celebrate its 300
anniversary. However, the fact that a private, pre-modern, copyright form
lasted for over a century, which was motivated by the profit of monopoly
control and with the government's help censorship, is an important example
in understanding how revisionist history is created and should not be ignored.

Steve Schear

"War is just a racket ... something that is not what it seems to the
majority of people. Only a small group knows what its about. It is
conducted for the benefit of the very few at the expense of the masses."
--- Major General Smedley Butler, 1933