Creeping Police State item #32767

George at Orwellian.Org George at Orwellian.Org
Sat Jun 16 02:14:09 PDT 2001

Pull up the URL for the full article.

http://www.villagevoice.com/issues/0124/ince.shtml
#
#    June 13-19, 2001
#
#    Cops in Schools Teach a Generation to Live
#    in Jail Preppin? for Prison
#    by Adamma Ince
#
#    "The po-po are like recruiters, only they don't want us for the
#    NBA or the NFL. They want us for jail."
#
#    Three years into a four-year pilot program giving the New York
#    Police Department control of safety in the public schools, sexual
#    assaults have increased so dramatically that the City Council
#    is now arguing for the addition of 200 more cops plus surveillance
#    cameras in stairwells.
#
#    Many in the community-parents, kids, teachers, and some elected
#    officials-say the council is ignoring what's really going on.
#    New York's black and Hispanic families worry that the NYPD's
#    historic use of discriminatory and aggressive tactics against
#    minorities has resulted not in protection for their kids, but
#    in criminalization. They say we've turned our schools into
#    training grounds for prisons, complete with metal detectors,
#    frisking, and holding cells.
#
#    As the kids see it, Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to about 5
#    p.m., they are eyeballed, stopped, and often bullied by officers
#    who are trained to track and punish criminals.
[snip]