Ex-GOP senator's wife pleads to email attack campaign

Matthew Gaylor freematt at coil.com
Fri Jun 15 10:11:59 PDT 2001

Declan McCullagh <declan at well.com> wrote:
>  * Gunhus is accused of using a Hotmail account (Katie Stevens --
>    kylomb at hotmail.com) to send the disparaging email messages, which
>    talked about how Ciresi had represented corporate polluters and
>    anti-union companies.

Is what she wrote being alleged to be untrue?  From my perspective
disparaging politicians is like shooting fish in a barrel.  Usually
all that is needed is to truthfully compare their campaign speeches
to their actual voting or other practices.

At 9:48 PM -0400 6/14/01, Declan McCullagh wrote:
>    * And what about the legal risk to free speech? The Minnesota Civil
>    Liberties Union reasonably argues that a criminal law that bans
>    sending pseudonymous messages is unconstitutional. A Supreme Court
>    decision, McIntyre v. Ohio Elections Commission
>    (http://www.epic.org/free_speech/mcintyre.html), says that a
>    prohibition on the distribution of anonymous campaign literature
>    violates the First Amendment. The state law seems to be ecumenical in
>    its application: A Republican has used it to attack the Sierra Club
>    (http://www.fcregister.com/ziegler11_6_00.htm).

I'm being represented by attorney Robbin Stewart (Brother of
Cypherpunk Bill Stewart) in an anonymous speech case as we speak.
Robin has had several victories in Indianapolis for anon political
speech.  His first victory was inspired from Freematt's Alerts,
Robbin had read some commentary from my list on McIntyre v. Ohio
Elections Commission that prompted him to challenge a city ordinance
that ordered him to remove a campaign sign from his residence (The
sign didn't have who paid or wrote it written on it.) The ordinance
was overturned in the Indiana Supreme Court.

Regards,  Matt-