Xerox Sux

Alan Olsen alan at clueserver.org
Thu Jun 14 15:38:15 PDT 2001

It does not surprise me in the least.

Xerox is an incredibly political and bizantine company. (When I worked
there as a contractor I saw a number of cool projects get pulled apart due
to political manuevers and turf battles.)

I sometimes wonder how they have lasted this long...

On Thu, 14 Jun 2001, John Young wrote:

> A Wall Street Journal article today on the SDMI/DCMA lawsuit
> by Ed Felten, et al, includes this nasty:
>
>   "The decision to file the lawsuit hasn't been without consequences.
>   Dr. Drew Dean is scheduled to resign from the Xerox research
>   center tomorrow and says, without elaborating, that the resignation
>   is 'related' to the DMCA lawsuit. A Xerox spokesman says that
>   the legal challenge is 'not something the corporation wished to
>   be involved in' but declined to comment further."
>
> Drew, like Dan Wallach, was a grad student of Felten's and the
> Xerox job was his first, I believe.
>
> Will Princeton boot Felten, will Rice boot Wallach? Depends on
> the courage of the trustees to resist their buddies' pressure,
> as half-dead Xerox could not.
>
> All hail the principled scientists, buck up trustees.

alan at ctrl-alt-del.com | Note to AOL users: for a quick shortcut to reply
Alan Olsen            | to my mail, just hit the ctrl, alt and del keys.
 "All power is derived from the barrel of a gnu." - Mao Tse Stallman