Freedom's just another word for . . .

Greg Broiles gbroiles at well.com
Thu Jun 14 11:08:58 PDT 2001

I'm assembling a collection of known attacks on anonymity systems, and went
to Zero Knowledge's website to look at their materials, and noticed a few
changes that might be of interest to people following the anonymity business -

They recently released Freedom 2.2. Their product/service offering now
seems to be split into two categories - one "standard service" and one
"premium service", where the "premium service" apparently uses crypto (and
nesting? hard to tell from the marketing stuff) to provide stronger
anonymity, while the standard doesn't, sounding more like a cross between
the Anonymizer and Norton Internet Security (at a lower price).

With the release of 2.2, Linux and Macintosh versions are no longer
supported due to lack of demand.

Adam Back, Ian Goldberg, and Adam Shostack put together a really helpful
paper ("Freedom 2.1 Security Issues and Analysis") describing known
difficulties and holes in their system. It's worth reading and thinking
about even if you're not using Freedom, because most of the issues are
present for ordinary web users, or users of other privacy-protecting
systems. ZKS' willingness and ability to release this sort of information
about their product and their field indicates that they've still got people
of integrity working there, which is really good to see. The paper is
beneath the "white papers" link - they've moved to a dynamic
page-generating system which makes me reluctant to post a long (and
probably short-lived) URL, but it's not hard to find.

--
Greg Broiles
gbroiles at well.com
"Organized crime is the price we pay for organization." -- Raymond Chandler