ORBS sucked into a black hole!

Faustine a3495 at cotse.com
Tue Jun 12 13:43:10 PDT 2001

Quoting Mr. May:
At 2:58 PM -0400 6/12/01, Faustine wrote:
>Bill Stewart:
>
>>And that doesn't even count the movie critics who decide that
>>some movies not commercial enough so they don't get made.
>
>That's because studios are private-sector businesses, not nonprofits dedicated
>to the arts. Is a film a work of art or a commercial product? Can
>you really be
>both? On the other hand, how can you produce art if nobody pays for it? Then
>again, can you really have a work of art shot through, riddled and co-opted
>with BS product placement every five seconds? I tend to think not.
>
>Still, I can't buy the idea of "good movies have a right to be made." Either
>somebody with money is willing to back it, or not. Censorship isn't really an
>issue here, just the hard, cruel laws of economics. ha.
>
>You might want to check out some back issues of the "Journal of Cultural
>Economics," lots of relevant articles there.

>Irony is lost on some people.

Oh, poo: unfortunately, in the "real" world you'll hear similar arguments all
too often. And I must say it doesn't seem any more outlandish than the kinds of
arguments certain people around here are making against ORBS.

Sorry, Bill!

~Faustine.

***

Why are you a physicist? Why aren't you a mathematician? --Paul Erdvs.

:P