ORBS sucked into a black hole!

Faustine a3495 at cotse.com
Tue Jun 12 11:58:49 PDT 2001

Bill Stewart:

>And that doesn't even count the movie critics who decide that
>some movies not commercial enough so they don't get made.

That's because studios are private-sector businesses, not nonprofits dedicated
to the arts. Is a film a work of art or a commercial product? Can you really be
both? On the other hand, how can you produce art if nobody pays for it? Then
again, can you really have a work of art shot through, riddled and co-opted
with BS product placement every five seconds? I tend to think not.

Still, I can't buy the idea of "good movies have a right to be made." Either
somebody with money is willing to back it, or not. Censorship isn't really an
issue here, just the hard, cruel laws of economics. ha.

You might want to check out some back issues of the "Journal of Cultural
Economics," lots of relevant articles there.

~Faustine.

***

On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr.
Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come
out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that
could provoke such a question. --Charles Babbage.