Thermal Imaging Decision Applicable to TEMPEST?

John Young jya at pipeline.com
Tue Jun 12 14:14:04 PDT 2001

Bill Stewart wrote:

>TEMPEST really refers to two kinds of technology -
>keeping equipment quiet, and reading signals from not-quiet-enough
>equipment.  The former category is the main thing that would
>apply to private citizens, and it's not addressed here.

Yes, and the confusion between the two sometimes leads to
gaps in understanding as well as security. And I don't know the name
of the technology that acquires signals by "illumination" of objects
bouncing emissions -- some say it is all TEMPEST, others
say don't be fooled by that misnomer -- ther really good stuff is
several generations beyond what is know as TEMPEST. Maybe
that is what NONSTOP and HIJACK and other codewords refer
to.

We have tried and failed to get NSA to open up more on its standards
for both types and blacker stuff. TEMPEST suppliers -- products and
services -- have said that it's tough getting NSA to clarify what can
be exported and what cannot by any means except by submitting
products for review, waiting and getting back a yes or no, but not
by getting precise requirements beforehand. Maybe that will
change to follow the lead of crypto as demand for TEMPEST
picks up.

Meanwhile it is probable that NSA is testing TEMPEST products
for blacker weaknesses, again like crypto, or rather the systems
and programs for crypto use.

We've been told by suppliers that the export market for TEMPEST (both
types) produce would blossom without restrictions on commercial/private
use.

Govs get approvals for the best stuff (unspecified mil grade) but not biz and
citz. Don't know about banks and telecomms and drug-kingpins, maybe
they get special treatment for allowing access to data and dope.
Outrageous, sure, but it is reported to happen.

Still, as far as this amateur knows, there is no restriction on any type
of TEMPEST inside the US, so the standard of protection is victim
beware.

And don't believe for a second anything you see in public about how far
away emissions can be acquired or how to protect against TEMPEST with
market-available products. Experts in the employ of the gov whisper you
won't see the truth about TEMPEST in public any time soon though there
will be a whole lot of smoke. The increasing smoke I can vouch for.

Even TSCM's and electronic PI's admit all the public stuff about TEMPEST
standards is prefabricated sunshine. Though that might be a DIRT ploy to
sell really, really, really totally reliable, better than mil-grade,
protection.

Did you hear how Joel McNamara was thought to have been killed fighting
a forest fire? Remember the A-10 seeming to fly aimlessly over the Rockies?
The suppressed AF report on its avionics going haywire? Think NONSTOP,
HIJACK.