Ian Grigg's Crypto Fiction Choices

Marshall Clow marshall at idio.com
Tue Jun 12 09:20:08 PDT 2001

> > From:	petro[SMTP:petro at bounty.org]
> >
> > >From: Matthew Gaylor <freematt at coil.com>
> > >Subject: Ian Grigg's Crypto Fiction Choices
> > >Cc: iang at systemics.com
> > >
> > >http://www.iang.org/crypto_fiction/
> >
> > >A Fire Upon The Deep
>>
>>	You missed "A Deepness in the Sky", written by Vinge, and
>> published in 1999. Crypto plays an important part of the story, and,
>> well, it's Vinge, it's worth a read.
>>
>... as does privacy, surveillance tech and it's avoidance, etc. Excellent
>book.
>
>But....
>
>Did you catch the hint that they're running an Unix-descended OS? ...it's
>pretty well hidden.

The only hint I saw was that the time system was based on number of seconds
from a base time that was almost, but not quite, the same as the first lunar landing.

1/1/1970, anyone?

Excellent book.
--
-- Marshall

Marshall Clow     Idio Software   <mailto:marshall at idio.com>
Hey! Who messed with my anti-paranoia shot?