"This Is Your Brain On Cow"

David Honig honig at sprynet.com
Tue Jun 12 08:01:49 PDT 2001

At 05:14 PM 6/10/01 -1000, Reese wrote:
>At 03:59 PM 6/10/01, David Honig wrote:
> >At 02:09 PM 6/10/01 -0400, Greg Newby wrote:
> >>This is because there are strict US FDA regulations concerning the use
> >>of infected beef in restaraunts, but they have little to say about
> >>what individuals in private homes eat.
> >>

> >Indeed there's been a few cases of something like BSE in Americans
> >who've eaten elk and / or deer.  But since the infected aren't fed
> >back into the population, there's no way for it to spread.  (E.g.,
> >if it arises spontaneously now and then.)
>
>I'm on the Pro-Med list and if there were any positive link between
>eating BSE-infected deer or elk, they'd be talking about it there.
>They aren't.  Currently, there is only a recommendation that hunters
>not eat brains or spinal cords.
>
>What is it you know or think you know, that they do not?

I know how to read, and I read _Science_.  A sidebar called "American's own
prion disease" describing Chronic Wasting Disease belonging to the
transmissable spongiform encephalopathies (like Creutzfeld-Jakob and BSE).
Vol 292 1 June 01 p 1641

Part of a larger article, "Is the US doing enough to prevent mad cow disease"
p 1639-1641