"This Is Your Brain On Cow"

Greg Newby gbnewby at ils.unc.edu
Mon Jun 11 08:08:56 PDT 2001

On Sun, Jun 10, 2001 at 05:14:38PM -1000, Reese wrote:
> At 03:59 PM 6/10/01, David Honig wrote:
>  >At 02:09 PM 6/10/01 -0400, Greg Newby wrote:
>  >>This is because there are strict US FDA regulations concerning the use
>  >>of infected beef in restaraunts, but they have little to say about
>  >>what individuals in private homes eat.

Um, I do know how to spell "restaurants", just not how to tpye.

>  >
>  >Indeed there's been a few cases of something like BSE in Americans
>  >who've eaten elk and / or deer.  But since the infected aren't fed
>  >back into the population, there's no way for it to spread.  (E.g.,
>  >if it arises spontaneously now and then.)
>
> I'm on the Pro-Med list and if there were any positive link between
> eating BSE-infected deer or elk, they'd be talking about it there.
> They aren't.  Currently, there is only a recommendation that hunters
> not eat brains or spinal cords.
>
> What is it you know or think you know, that they do not?

I presume Reese knows a joke (mine) when he sees one, and is just
looking for info about deer & elk.  This is a story I've
heard about in several forums, including a radio show (maybe
Pacifica News, I'm not sure).

Go to www.google.com and query "bse elk deer" and you'll get
several hits covering this topic.  Whether it constitutes a
"positive link" is for you to decide.

I think Project Censored (www.projectcensored.org) did a story about
this, too.  The bottom line in several of these stories is that BSE
*is* in the wild in the U.S., contrary to what Big Money (in this
case, beef producers, McDonalds, etc.) would have us believe.

Whether BSE is in US cows or elsewhere in the non-hunter human food
chain is something I haven't heard about, but it's fair to guess that
this is the type of information that would be supressed by the powers
that be.

All the more good reason to go vegan...
http://www.reed.edu/~zeke/vegan/faq/vegan-l.FAQ.html
  -- Greg