Automatic's

Riad S. Wahby rsw at MIT.EDU
Mon Jun 11 06:03:22 PDT 2001

At 04:56 PM 6/10/01 -0700, petro wrote:

>	A .300 Win Mag or .338 Laupa will do 1000 to 1500 yard hits
>just as well, in a smaller, cheaper, easier to handle package.

The .300 Win Mag delivers about 3500 ft-lbs of energy at the muzzle.
The .50 BMG delivers 13000 ft-lbs.  You use a .300 Win Mag for killing
people.  You use a .50 BMG for taking out trucks and small structures.

In other words, apples and oranges.

>	Anything past 800 to 1000 yards is luck and voodoo anyway.

I'm with David on this one.  Maybe to me, but not to some.

--
Riad Wahby
rsw at mit.edu
MIT VI-2/A 2002