FC: Ashcroft tells Congress he'll take hard line on porn, piracy

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Sat Jun 9 10:07:57 PDT 2001

---
Excerpts from hearing transcript:
http://www.cluebot.com/article.pl?sid=01/06/08/2143247&mode=thread
---

   Ashcroft's Hard Line on Hardcore
   By Declan McCullagh (declan at wired.com)
   2:00 a.m. June 9, 2001 PDT

   WASHINGTON -- Look out, Internet sextrepreneurs: John Aschroft wants
   you to serve hard time.

   In explicit terms, the attorney general told Congress this week that
   hardcore sex sites would no longer be selling peeks at
   balloon-breasted babes.

   "I am concerned about obscenity and I'm concerned about obscenity as
   it relates to our children," Ashcroft said in his first appearance
   before the House Judiciary Committee.

   He said Justice Department prosecutors would help state officials
   imprison sex-site operators that feature obscene images: "We try to be
   especially accommodating to local law enforcement to assist them, and
   I would think that would be an objective of ours in this respect."

   A number of Republicans asked Ashcroft to pledge to prosecute raunch
   and ribaldry, but Rep. Bob Goodlatte of Virginia -- who also,
   unbelievably, is co-chair of the Internet Caucus -- was the most
   persistent.

   "The failure of the (Clinton) administration to enforce those laws has
   led to a proliferation of obscenity, both online and off," Goodlatte
   said. "And I am particularly concerned about the safety of our
   children on the Internet, where they're subjected to child pornography
   and solicitation in a massive way."

   [...]