The Credentialling of America

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Wed Jun 6 10:07:47 PDT 2001

>It is important that Felton win his case. What I wonder is even if he
>does will the courts create only a very narrow exception for
>credentialed scientists working at recognized institutions? As far as
>I'm concerned anyone who is curious, learns something and wants to
>publish should have the same rights as a prof at any university. So even
>if he wins the battle is far from over.

This seems like a likely outcome, part of the "credentialling of America."

There are parts of biological research which can only be done by
approved, credentialled researchers. Ditto for weapons work of
various kinds.

(And I won't even get into the licensing of increasing numbers of
professions, licensing which is really part of a rent-seeking deal by
_established_ actors and also part of a _control_ method welcomed by
government.)

In direct analogy with Mike's point above, thing about locksmiths and
locksmith tools. In many places, only "certified locksmiths" may
possess even simple lock picks and diagrams of locks. (As with most
such limitations on freedom, I don't think the Supreme Court has ever
heard a major case on the constitutionality of making possession of a
lock diagram a thought crime.)

The DMCA is like this ban on locksmithing tools and knowledge. It
obviously doesn't apply to the _developers_ of such "locks," only to
those outside the guild who try to analyze them.

--Tim May, not a licensed and certified political commentator, so
read my words before the new laws take effect

--
Timothy C. May         tcmay at got.net        Corralitos, California
Personal: b.1951/UCSB/Intel '74-'86/retired/investor/motorcycles/guns