Ed Felten and researchers sue RIAA, DOJ over right to publish

mmotyka at lsil.com mmotyka at lsil.com
Wed Jun 6 09:05:45 PDT 2001

It is important that Felton win his case. What I wonder is even if he
does will the courts create only a very narrow exception for
credentialed scientists working at recognized institutions? As far as
I'm concerned anyone who is curious, learns something and wants to
publish should have the same rights as a prof at any university. So even
if he wins the battle is far from over.

>http://www.wired.com/news/mp3/0,1285,44344,00.html
>
>    Code-Breakers Go to Court
>    By Declan McCullagh (declan at wired.com)
>    6:22 a.m. June 6, 2001 PDT
>
>    WASHINGTON -- After a team of academics who broke a music-watermarking
>    scheme bowed to legal threats from the recording industry and chose
>    not to publish their research in April, they vowed to "fight another
>    day, in another way."
>
>    [...]
Mike