Pointers to news sources and other mailing lists

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Tue Jul 31 11:15:51 PDT 2001

At 11:00 AM -0700 7/31/01, Tim May wrote:

>Second, I'm confused. You say you have bad connectivity at work and
>no connection at home. If you can take Choate's URL pointers and
>follow them, why can you not go directly to the source (Yahoo,
>Slashdot, CNET, Wired, etc.)? And how will you access Yahoo groups
>with poor/zero connectivity?

>And the problem goes beyond Choate. With many here subscribed to a
>dozen or more heavily-overlapping groups (covering crypto,
>copyright, etc. issues), the tendency is strong to simply bounce
>pointers around. In fact, the motivation for my article was seeing
>_your_ posting of several messages yesterday with nothing more than
>URLs. "Oh, no, Eugene's gone Choatian on us!"
>
>If you connectivity is so bad, why are you sending _us_ URL pointers?
>
>Careful with that ASCII, Eugene.

OK, I checked what you sent to us yesterday and last week, and you
posted more than just URLs. I was wrong about that.

But you forwarded articles (and URLs) from other lists, other news
sources. I saw one from the Extropians list, another from Yahoo/CNET,
one from Dave Farber, etc.

This is in some sense better than just dumping URLs on us, but it's
not needed. We can read Yahoo to read about Singapore cameras. And so
on. Unless there is some new twist for Cypherpunks, or some urgency,
why make the CP list a dumping ground for what is better read with
browsers?

As I said, I'm confused about how you say you're doing this because
you have poor connectivity at work and zero at home? And yet you
clearly found these articles in the first place, so how does mailing
them out to Cypherpunks help you with connectivity problems?

Puzzled,

--Tim May

--
Timothy C. May         tcmay at got.net        Corralitos, California
Personal: b.1951/UCSB/Intel '74-'86/retired/investor/motorcycles/guns