NRA Prints HALF Of The Story (Barniskis)?

David and Maureen Codrea codrea4 at home.com
Mon Jul 30 23:35:55 PDT 2001

Jeez, I can't let this one go by...

First- I dropped that guy what-his-name from distribution because he wanted
off.

Plenty of stuff on 14A by Kopel and Halbrook pointing out how 2A was
integral to it, and how the incorporation doctrine flies in the face of its
framers.  We can speak theoretically of how it may not have been properly
ratified, but it is legally recognized in the here and now, and until it is
overturned or repealed, it is something the AG, as you point out, is
compelled to uphold.

I have never claimed to be a big Marbury fan- I merely cited one important
quotation from it that had relevance to the topic.  That quotation could
have come from Dred Scott as far as I'm concerned and it would still be
true, even though the decision of that case was repellant.

Nowhere have I ever maintained that a felon should be able to use a gun in a
crime and not get punished big time.  This is a misinterpretation of my
arguments, as my concern was for people like you and I getting caught up in
the enforcement of existing gun laws, which are and remain, as I pointed out
earlier, EXISTING CIVILIAN DISARMAMENT laws.  I didn't say PE WAS  taking
honest citizens off the street, I said that once you open the door to these
kinds of laws, enforcement can reflect the policies of the administration in
power, and that once you tolerate usurpations of power, important checks
against abuse have been ceded.

Yes, we must have strong laws to punish violent criminals; I merely suggest
that we can do this without violating the Constitution.  For starters, we
can all; be safer against predators if we repeal, instead of enforce,
unconstitutional gun control laws, as all they do is make it safer for the
criminals to operate- isn't that superior to eroding our mutual (and as you
pointed out) inalienable rights?  Personally, I think your wife OUGHT to be
able to have a firearm on school grounds, and concealed on her person, and
that it should be able to hold more than 10 rounds and be semiautomatic, and
even be newly purchased even though it is on a federal "ban" list.  I think
she ought to be able to have a gun even if she got in a fight and was
convicted of misdemeanor assault.  These are existing gun laws, and if she
violates them, they can carry federal penalties.  I don't want to infringe
on her right to keep and bear arms, nor allow the feds to have that power,
especially when the proscription against them doing this could not be more
clear. Can you guarantee that Project Exile can NEVER be abused to do this?
If so, I will surrender on this point and shut up.  I know that NRA INTENDS
that PE will only affect "those people", but you have failed to demonstrate
how NRA will have any say in the matter should political power shift
dramatically to the Democrats.

And I totally reject your assertion that  "my" fight (where the heck did you
get THAT impression?) against Project Exile is either hopeless or useless,
especially judging from the gun rights leaders who have signed the
denouncement statement on keepandbeararms.com.
https://www.keepandbeararms.com/information/XcIBViewItem.asp?ID=720
They represent some of the finest intellects and activists in the rkba
community, and you cannot ignore them or their concerns if you hope to be
either  effective and innovative.  Why on earth would you want to?

Here's the problem, Neal- there ain't no light at the end of this tunnel.
There will be more back-and-forth and more debating, and more time composing
answers and rebuttals and counter-arguments and "gotcha's", but I don't see
either one of us budging from our original stance.

I suppose I could continue spending time each day on this doing
point-counterpoint with you, but  I don't see where it's gonna get us.  It
takes time away from too many other things that I have already prioritized.
So I hope you understand that I need to back off of this- I think I was
pretty up front about that from the start.  I don't think anyone can accuse
me of ducking anything, but I'd appreciate it if we could just agree to
disagree on this and call a truce.  Feel free to have the last word on this,
but I just GOTTA drop this for now.

Best,
David
p.s.- not "Dave"- call it a snotty affectation on my part, but I just never
cared for it...:-)
p.s.s.- the following from Merrill Gibson addresses "compelling state
interest"- it is on topic, and this you'll like, Neal, it defends Ashcroft's
position.  Merrill makes some good points- I ain't totally on board with it,
but that's probably just because I'm so stiff-necked and ornery.

---