Possible Internet Split (plan D)

jamesd at echeque.com jamesd at echeque.com
Sat Jul 28 12:20:21 PDT 2001

    --
On 26 Jul 2001, at 13:54, Ray Dillinger wrote:
> The problem with Plan D, if implemented over the current Internet,
> is that the low levels of the internet are a tree rather than a
> proper network.  There are choke points and listening points at
> which all of a particular person's traffic can be guaranteed to
> be intercepted.

That is true of the typical home connection.  It certainly is not true of many of the networks I have access to.

To crack down on the internet, the government has to construct a mapping from packets to true names.  In general that is hard, even though it is easily doable for lots of packets and lots of true names.

    --digsig
         James A. Donald
     RLqtJ72UcIIsUjZOwHNOsz/YzK+IpZPk8CuF2Jti
     4ePgVwggx855XmBvPnEuSTEGX+J9Etf0m+xAq4qLa