FC: Senate should ask FBI nominee Mueller about privacy, EPIC says

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Fri Jul 27 10:53:21 PDT 2001

Robert Mueller, FBI director-designate, will be before the Senate Judiciary
committee on Monday. EPIC's letter is a worthy effort to raise the topic of
privacy, and will (I hope) get Mueller's views in the public record.

EPIC's Marc Rotenberg correctly says that as the first FBI director of the
21st century, Mueller will have access to more sophisticated surveillance
technologies than his predecessors. (Carnivore may get the most attention,
but I'm more concerned about automated face recognition systems, and I hope
that comes up on Monday.)

Background on Robert Mueller, FBI director-designate:
http://www.politechbot.com/p-02233.html

Senate hearing notice:
http://judiciary.senate.gov/hr073001f.htm

Politech archive on Carnivore: