Possible Internet Split (plan D)

Sampo Syreeni decoy at iki.fi
Fri Jul 27 03:48:48 PDT 2001

On Thu, 26 Jul 2001, Ray Dillinger wrote:

>Characteristics of a "chaos web" include mobile content -- an idea
>already espoused by mojo nation and freenet -- but that means you
>can't hook up the database servers on the other end of your website
>and monitor where the people go, so mainstream businesses will probably
>not use a chaos web. ultimately though, it comes down to some kind of
>alternate infrastructure.

That won't happen, of course. Far too few care enough to pay for it. What
you'd probably want is a VPN sorta configuration layered on top of the
existing Net, with some killer application the normal network infrastructure
cannot support. I.e. you need to carve out your own space much in the way
Big Business intends to.

Some of the stuff the IETF routing people are coming up with might be
useful. I'm thinking Cisco's MPLS (for VPN sorta configurations and QoS
guarantees), what the manet WG is doing (for decentralized routing infra),
and broadcast/multicast routing (for replication and anonymity).

Sampo Syreeni, aka decoy, mailto:decoy at iki.fi, gsm: +358-50-5756111