where's dildo? if he's not white, at Texas Southern University

Aimee Farr aimee.farr at pobox.com
Fri Jul 27 10:12:47 PDT 2001

> It's graduations that should be hard, not admissions.
>
> 				Bear

1. But check out TSU's bar exam passage rate.

2. That's what they say....but that's not how it works.

Law schools "teach the test" (the bar exam), most of which is "multiple
choice." In many law schools, law professors prepare students for "multiple
choice practice." Most were forced to abandon the Socratic method by sheer
numbers. I had one 3L trial prof that was a semester in hell. He taught the
way law school USED to be taught. When he retired, everybody knew that it
was the end of an era. At the end, his class filled the lecture hall to
capacity. He didn't know everybody's names. It horrified him.

When my father attended law school, the people on either side of him did not
make it past the first year. His 3L class filled up the first two rows of
that same lecture hall, with an empty chair in-between. Once again, the
people on either side of him.... There was no "seating chart." Back then,
they looked at you, and they would ask if they wanted you to be a lawyer.
The answer was usually no. When you graduated, you went to a firm where you
were honed like an axe.

I have my father's law school notes and another family member's notes from
UT Law c. 1900. When you add my own materials -- you come to a disturbing
conclusion.

I am always complaining that I don't have a "form" for something. My father
will pull up a chair, sigh, and start dictating.

~Aimee