ref on DNA databases

Subcommander Bob bob at black.org
Fri Jul 27 10:48:54 PDT 2001

Estonia, a country of 1.5 million in Northern Europe, launches a project
building a national health and DNA database (see Science, Oct. 6 2000,
Nature Biotech
Nov 2000). This database will bring direct benefits to the Estonian
people and to their healthcare. In addition to that, at the global
level, it will offer a tremendously
valuable tool for datamining to find disease susceptibility markers or
disease genes. Above all, these databases could serve as an example of
emerging foundations of
the future personalized medicine through the use of information and gene
technologies in the healthcare. I would like to introduce you the
project, the legal, ethical
and educational homework that has been done during the past one and a
half years. Furthermore, I would like to draw your attention to
technological requirements
concerning information technology (incl. Databases) and genotyping that
still need to addressed to make a full use of that information.

http://www-smi.stanford.edu/events/abstracts/abstract_2000111393000563.html