Criminalizing crypto criticism + 802.11b access

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Fri Jul 27 10:25:42 PDT 2001

At 12:30 PM -0400 7/27/01, Declan McCullagh wrote:
>Like I said, I'm not defending the DMCA. I was merely correcting
>the fellow who didn't know the exemption (of sorts) existed.

Not being an expert on the DCMA, I'm still trying to square the
notion of an "exemption for research" (my words, summarizing my
understanding of the various clauses) and the fear of the Felten gang
that presenting their _research_ paper on the weaknesses in the new
Secure Digital Music Initiative (SDMI) scheme could expose them to
prosecution.

Felten wasn't building commercial devices for sale, he wasn't
marketing a product to enable bypassing the SDMI...he and his group
were doing standard cryptographic analysis of an algorithm...the
bread and butter of determining the strenghts of ciphers and security
methods.

I think the threatened suit under the terms of the DCMA goes to the
point the original poster made: that the way to stop cryptanalysis of
a cipher ("Digital Snake Oil Bass-O-Mattic Encryptator 1.0"), or at
least the publication of any results, is to do what was done to
Felten.

I just don't see how if a Princeton professor is not exempted from
the DCMA that a guy in a lab in Sunnyvale would be. And so the
chilling effect on research is in fact accomlished.

The courts will no doubt have their say, but right now the DCMA sure
looks to be a ban on publication of research.

--Tim May

--
Timothy C. May         tcmay at got.net        Corralitos, California
Personal: b.1951/UCSB/Intel '74-'86/retired/investor/motorcycles/guns