FC: Example of confidential email accidentally sent from FBI'S NIPC

George at orwellian.org George at orwellian.org
Thu Jul 26 14:48:54 PDT 2001

Declan wrote:
%
%    [unfortunately, or fortunately, this is a joke]

#    From: Tim May <tcmay at got.net>
#    Subject: Weird message from someone named "NIPC"
#    To: cypherpunks at lne.com
#    Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 18:42:34 -0700
#
#    Cypherpunks,
#
#    I've been getting anywhere from 10 to 30 "SirCam" worm messages a
#    day. The volume is now declining. Most have attached files containing
#    fragments of Microsoft Word documents, apparently extracted from the
#    disk drive of the sender. Most are the usual garbage people write to
#    each other, but some of the ones from corporations have been
#    interesting.

Tim's request for help was an elaborately detailed lie.

I presumed he had the non-forgeable IP [extremely hard
to forge] recorded by his ISP to backup receipt of the
email from an appropriate .gov address.

Politech will do for me from now on, anything really
important will be echoed there.

 ----

Tim didn't post for a couple weeks.

When he was back, it was a new Tim.

One who:

   o said the FBI wasn't malevolent in the Weaver case

   o acted like a wimp regarding saying Adobe would
     suffer recruiting problems despite having
     extensively posted "needs killing" before

   [
     Adobe will be suffering for a long time to come.

     (Note to our FBI monitors: This is NOT a
     threat against Adobe. Note to Cypherpunks:
     With feebs like the Feebs out there, one
     can never assume that ordinary figures of
     speech will be understood.)
   ]

   o posted an elaborate "Agent Provocateur" lie
     regarding receipt of NIPC traffic

I can handle all the Choate crap.

I can't handle a cypherpunks list without the real Tim May.

Let Dmitry rot in jail with a lightbulb on 24/7, I no longer care.

I'm unsubscriving, don't let the door hit
me in the ass and all that.

Enjoy your Choate, y'all, that's all that's left.