Persistance of [was: Urgent Business Proposal.]

Ken Brown k.brown at ccs.bbk.ac.uk
Thu Jul 26 05:03:48 PDT 2001

"Wilfred L. Guerin" wrote:

> This is like the 30th Nigerian bullshit solicitation in the last 2 weeks.

It's been going on for years. Before there was the Internet they used to
use faxes, and before that ordinary mailshots.

Actually, quite a lot of this activity comes from the UK. :-)  And I
think Germany as well. Though it was Nigerians who started it.

> I wish someone would just go down there and clear the assholes out so their
> country can regain some sort of integrity...

Actually I think it's kind of funny, all those clever Africans making a
living out of exploiting the stupidity and greed of Europeans. It is
such an egregiously obvious scam. The sort of message with "This is a
trap!" written all over it in big, friendly subtextual letters.  But
enough people fall for it to make it worth their while.

> Possibly when G8 is done, the forces can be sent to africa to bonk the
> fraudsters with canisters over the head or something.

People have been arrested for it in both Britain and Nigeria. There is a
good chance that at least some of the spam is in fact trawling by LEOs.

[...]

> What a disgraceful world...

Think of it as evolution in action. The only people who fall for it (and
there are some) are both very criminal and VERY stupid.

I mean, if someone you had never met in your life came up to you in the
street and said "give me 100 dollars, and I will go away and steal 1000
dollars from some defenceless poor people and them I'll come back and
give you half"...

I've got no problem with freedom of speech. If some nasty man wants to
make a criminal suggestion to me, that's his business. I don't need to
answer if I don't want to. Neither do you. Live with it.

I've got mild problems with the spam but this one is way down the list
of current irritations, well below "Credit card limits" and "US wives"
and those odd messages in Spanish with the crappy HTML that hangs my
browser for 10 seconds.

Ken Brown