Weird message from someone named "NIPC"

John Ashcroft's Persecuting Penis George at orwellian.org
Thu Jul 26 01:42:39 PDT 2001

Declan, I finally realized what you were talking
about when you wrote this:

DM wrote:
#
#    [Vatis'] reported comments are a little, well, unusual.

This was apparently what you were referring to:

Tim May receives NIPC internal notes:
#
#    Michael Vatis, deputy assistant director and chief of the Federal
#    Bureau of Investigation's National Infrastructure Protection Center
#    (NIPC) created February 26, 1998, told the Senate Judiciary
#    Subcommittee on Terrorism, Technology and Government Information June
#    29 that 'crypto anarchists" see Washington's computers as "the final
#    exam, the ultimate challenge, the enemy which must be destroyed."
#    Agents are advised to seek out means of forcing these persons out of
#    the public debate.

Notice the closing quotes on Vatis's testimony.

I immediately read and attributed that last sentence to another voice.

We are looking at an FBI agent's internal notes, recounting events.

Who said this:

#    Agents are advised to seek out means of forcing these persons out of
#    the public debate.

General Ashcroft, of course.

Here, I'll combine it with the smoking gun:

#    Agents are advised to seek out means of forcing these crypto
#    anarchists out of the public debate. NIPC has been tasked to
#    assist in the take-down of a high-profile hacker terrorist at
#    the DefCon conference next week in Las Vegas. The take-down is
#    being planned for maximal public impact, as per AG Ashcroft's
#    memo of 24JUN01. Full assistance will be provided by NIPC. Plain
#    clothes agents will be at the conference to render assistance.

Oh my gawd, he's a "terrorist"!!!

 ----

All that boring traffic Tim got.net, that
is what most traffic is: boring.

Don't believe my "traffic analysis"?

Ask Tim what the SMTP headers say.

You've got a major story on your hands.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Sat in your lap.

Why didn't cypherpunks think of this virus?
I guess we're not predatory, like the DOJ.

   "Watch carefully those you lend power to."
   ---Newt Gingrich