Weird message from someone named "NIPC"

Jamie Nicolson jamesnicolson at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 25 23:18:41 PDT 2001

Declan McCullagh wrote:

> Now that I've actually read through some of what Tim posted, I think
> it's clear what it is. Hint: Vatis wasn't in charge of NIPC by June
> 29, and I don't recall any such hearing, and his reported comments
> are a little, well, unusual. --Declan

I thought they were supposed to keep classified and unclassified material on
separate machines and networks. The information in this document would presumably
be classified, and the machine it was on shouldn't have had internet access. The
rules are there to prevent just this sort of thing.

Of course, as we saw in the case of John Deutch, these rules are broken.