Open 802.11b wireless access points and remailers

David Honig honig at sprynet.com
Wed Jul 25 23:18:04 PDT 2001

At 01:52 AM 7/26/01 -0400, dmolnar wrote:
>will be sending and receiving several messages each day. You might try
>to get around this by developing a protocol in which there are many, many
>remailers, each of which only speaks once in a very long while. I don't
>know how easy or hard it is exactly to do this kind of tracking, however,
>which makes it difficult to say what such a protocol would look like.
>
>Perhaps mobile remailers might be more useful or more difficult to track
>to their physical implementation. The only problem with a mobile remailer
>is the question of "who's moving it?" (or what). I can imagine a mobile
>remailer the size of a Walkman without too much difficulty; I can also
>imagine that if I were to wear such a remailer and walk around in the
>wrong kind of environment, I'd be asking for a "mugging." or worse.

When "cell phones" get more programmable, and handle text, an interesting
"app" could be guerilla-net-like "routing".  If everyone's "phone" is
a RF repeater/router, its not impossible.

Battery life would probably be the worst impact.  A few airline bottles
of vodka will keep the fuel cells humming (for the future phone, I mean).

Lots of mil apps for fully distributed RF nets, too.