Salon: The real enemies of the poor

Jim Choate ravage at ssz.com
Wed Jul 25 15:53:25 PDT 2001

On Wed, 25 Jul 2001, Faustine wrote:

> Jim wrote:
>
> >One article expressing one persons opinions
> >49 articles expressing 49 peoples opinions.
>
> Yeah, I know it was a bit of a tangent.

 But read any one of them at random
> and I'll bet you'll come across a lot of things you didn't already know.

Maybe, I read a shitload of 'books of articles' from this government
agency or that contractor on a variety of issues. Most of them don't
change except on a scale measured in decades. But at the same time I added
it to my list because there were several subjects on there I'm very
interested in (always good to throw more wood on the fire ;).

What I found amusing is that you read the Salon article (probably w/o
great enthusiasm considering it is Salon after all) and you had another
text of articles you hadn't read but had already decided it was a worthy
read and that you'd get something out of it. Especially since it was such
'weighty' material in two different contexts.

I've got a math book I'm wading through that's like that. It's about 40
articles and I've been reading it for about a year now. I don't intend to
repeat Tesla's mistake.

He typically would read all books by an author in one sequence, and read
nothing else. He considered it a measure of his discipline. He received a
book by Virgil and found it likable. So he proceeded to order a complete
set of works. Only to discover that it was over a 100 books. Needless to
say he wasn't amused. He bought them, read them, and then swore to never
read another book again without first finding out how many books the
author had written.

Probably not any more popular a viewpoint now than a tad over a hundred
years ago.

> And rather than taking one side "globalism is good" or "globalism is bad"
> (like the Salon piece), the ones I've read give plenty of justification for
> pros and cons of all kinds.

I strongly want global trade and cultural exchange. I do not want global
government or corporate enterprise. I want direct interaction of business
in government to be prohibited.

> The real enemy of the poor is complacency.

The real enemy of all is death.

Halt Passenger!
As you are now, so once was I
As I am now, so shall you be
Prepare for death, and follow me!

A New England Gravestone

;)

                Nature and Nature's laws lay hid in night:
                God said, "Let Tesla be", and all was light.

                                          B.A. Behrend

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage at ssz.com