SirCam

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Wed Jul 25 09:34:52 PDT 2001

At 11:05 AM -0500 7/25/01, Jon Beets wrote:
>I got my first SirCam hit today.. WOoohooo

I got about 30 of them on Saturday, more on Sunday, fewer on Monday,
about the same on Tuesday, and a few so far today. One of my systems,
my main one, handled the huge files with aplomb, as I have set it to
not deliver files large than some threshold to my home machine unless
I fetch them explicitly. My other system, a new OS X system I am
experimenting with, was bogging down with a spinning cursor
indicating massive system activity. It's my secondary mail system
(just for experimenting) and I hadn't bothered to set the fetch
thresholds. It turns out it (OS X "Mail") was busily downloading
several of these 4000 KB (yes, 4 MB) attachments! While many of the
"SirCam" attachments are "only" about 200-300 KB, the ones I got
Monday and Tuesday were often megabytes in size.

I fixed this in the obvious way.

I also bounce them back to the senders, with the "abuse at domain.name"
address added for good measure. Most never make it, as the
"recipient's mailbox is full"! One of these domain names has
threatened to have my account cancelled for this bouncing. So if I go
off the air, this may be the reason.

--Tim May

--
Timothy C. May         tcmay at got.net        Corralitos, California
Personal: b.1951/UCSB/Intel '74-'86/retired/investor/motorcycles/guns