Open 802.11b wireless access points and remailers

Roy M. Silvernail roy at scytale.com
Wed Jul 25 04:27:51 PDT 2001

On 24 Jul 2001, at 20:59, Petro wrote:

>  There are several companies making embedded systems boards that use
> very little power and are capable of running linux. I don't know if
> any of them are quite low power enough to run off a solar panel yet,
> but some of the mips/arm designs might be.

My current new toy is a CerfCube.

(http://www.intrinsyc.com/products/referencedesigns/cerfcube.html)

The specs say max 1A @ 5VDC.  I know that running a Compact
Flash card makes it draw toward the upper limit, but the built in
32MB RAM + 16MB Flash should be enough to run a remailer.
Maybe not quite disposable at $379, but it would be interesting to
see what I can do in that area.  With an adapter, I can run a 802.11
card from the CF socket, I think.  (drivers might be tricky)

Having fallen a little out of touch, what are the popular remailers in
use?  Can't seem to find my Mixmaster link anymore.

>  It would seem to me that if it's a box you don't expect to get back,
> it might be a better idea to build a special purpose machine--just the
> motherboard, 802.11 device and a reduced Linux installation running
> out of flash ram.

That sounds like the CerfCube (maybe without the stylish Al cube
case).

>  Depending on the area covered, you wouldn't even need to trespass. If
> it's in a mall area, coverage would probably extend to certain areas
> of the outside of the building where it might be feasible to mount a
> small enough box that it wouldn't get noticed. Epoxy your box to the
> wall next to some other sort of electrical equipment (if the
> interference won't get in the way) and it will probably remain
> undiscovered for a while.

Hmmm.... maybe an inductive parasite power tap?

           Roy M. Silvernail     [ ]     roy at scytale.com
DNRC Minister Plenipotentiary of All Things Confusing, Software Division
    PGP Key 0x1AF39331 :  71D5 2EA2 4C27 D569  D96B BD40 D926 C05E
                 Key available from pubkey at scytale.com
            I charge to process unsolicited commercial email