Vengeance Against Adobe

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Tue Jul 24 11:12:40 PDT 2001

At 11:03 AM -0700 7/24/01, Ray Dillinger wrote:
>On Mon, 23 Jul 2001 measl at mfn.org wrote:
>

>>While it is a consummation devoutly to be wished, I predict that the
>>"backlash" will be gone in a mere matter of weeks, if not days.  Let's
>>face it: the people most likely to be Adobe *customers* are anything but
>>hungry.  A fat customer is an apathetic customer...
>
>It would take a *lot* to alienate Adobe's customers on a substantial
>enough basis to affect Adobe.  Most of them probably haven't even
>heard about this debacle and if they did, wouldn't care.
>
>But Adobe has one other check on its behavior -- it lives in the
>valley and *HAS TO* attract really bright geeks to work there.
>
>Really bright geeks have probably heard about this and are angry
>about it.  This will hurt them in recruiting, and (unconfirmed
>rumor) maybe it has already cost them somebody they can't replace.

This, by the way, was exactly what I said in my articles: that
Adobe's ability to _recruit_ will be affected by this P.R. black eye.
Someone mutated the point into a claim that Adobe's product sales
would be affected, which is doubtful.

--Tim May

--
Timothy C. May         tcmay at got.net        Corralitos, California
Personal: b.1951/UCSB/Intel '74-'86/retired/investor/motorcycles/guns