Adobe, EFF Call for Dmitry Release

Greg Newby gbnewby at ils.unc.edu
Tue Jul 24 07:58:59 PDT 2001

Copyright law is a weird thing.  While the copyright holder needs to
bring a case for normal infringement, the provisions of section 1201
for "trafficking" bump copyright violation to a federal crime.

In other words, the feds prosecute, not Adobe.

More details on this would be welcome -- it's hard to understand
how the laws work when we have relatively few test cases (even for
regular copyright, let alone digital).
  -- Greg