Adobe, EFF Call for Dmitry Release

Jon Beets Jon.Beets at pacer.com
Tue Jul 24 08:58:58 PDT 2001

This reminds me of complaints filed in the Air Force. If anyone files a
complaint either by the one that was wronged or somone who saw a person
being wronged the gears are then in motion...  These complaints can range
from sexual harrassment to sexual or racial discrimination, etc..
Essentially anything that is not of a criminal act. All criminal; acts are
handled by the security police and AFOSI (Air Force Office of Special
Investiagtions). Even if the complaintee wants to withdraw the complaint its
too late and the investigation must go forward. The basis for this is 1) To
stop people from using it as a threatening tool to get what they want since
most likely the investigation will show the truth if they made a false
statement  2) To ensure the complaintee hasn't been pressured to drop the
complaint by their superiors or peers. The investigation is always performed
by someone who does not have ties to the squadron of the people he is
investigating. This is done to try to take out any partiallity.. Criminal
acts are investigated the same way except the investigator is a law
enforcement official.

I like the idea of continuing the investigation no matter what.. While I
think the DMCA sucks I think that the only way the feds can stay
professional and look impartial in this incident is to continue to
investigate, otherwise it comes down to pick and choose what they will
enforce and when..

Jon Beets
Pacer Communications