Open 802.11b wireless access points and remailers

gbroiles at speakeasy.org gbroiles at speakeasy.org
Tue Jul 24 10:43:23 PDT 2001

Several years ago, there was discussion on the list about creating headless
or throwaway remailers (likely hidden in some institution where they could
get power and net access for a long time until they were discovered)- I
didn't spend a lot of time thinking about that, because I thought that the
necessary Ethernet (or other network) connection which would be made
between the hidden machine and the host network would make it easy enough
to detect and disable that it wasn't a productive direction for
exploration. (There are also any number of legal issues related to
trespass, unauthorized network use, etc., which may apply.)

However, that limitation may be withering away, with the spread of 802.11b
(or similar) wireless networks - the attached email describes a
Seattle-area system apparently set up by Microsoft in a shopping mall
providing free network access to people within the reach of its radio units.

An old laptop, a solar panel, some auxiliary batteries, and an 802.11
network card might be able to stay
online for a long, long time in that sort of environment.

This also sounds like a good way to get casual, anonymous network access to
upload or download email - once upon a time, bad people who wanted to send
forbidden emails or browse hidden sites did that by going to public
terminals in libraries or web cafes or [...] - now perhaps they'll do that
at Starbucks or the mall, either for free or having paid cash for
short-term access via 802.11b wireless.

And, if you're the sort that's worried about permission, etc., the nice
thing is that these networks are explicitly intended for the use of guests
on the premises, so at least the first level of concerns about trespass or
unauthorized use are addressed.

These days, remailers aren't as exciting as they once were - perhaps the
next important tools are going to be Freenet or Mojo Nation nodes - but the
combination of wireless access plus anonymous access provides an
interesting opportunity for network participants which are physically
within a jurisdiction yet unavailable for punishment.