Vengeance Against Adobe

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Mon Jul 23 22:11:57 PDT 2001

Here's a prediction: This case will never come close to generating
the same amount of publicity, by at least two orders of magnitude.

Folks on the Net have a bad habit of overemphasizing how important
these cases are. This is not important to the people in DC who count.

It has never been mentioned in the WSJ, the Washington Post, the
Washington Times. Even the SJMN -- the hometown paper! -- has been
running largely wire copy in its news coverage. I did a quick L/N
search and the only network/cable TV coverage seems to have been a
brief mention on CNN.

Compare that to the kind of publicity the other two cases received,
and there's no contest.

Face it: The DMCA was designed to punish precisely what Elcomsoft
was doing. There's no comparison between that and WHL or RJ.

-Declan