Adobe, EFF Call for Dmitry Release

Petro petro at bounty.org
Tue Jul 24 00:59:01 PDT 2001

At 5:25 PM -0700 7/23/01, Gabriel Rocha wrote:
>,----[ On Mon, Jul 23, at 07:44PM, John Young wrote: ]--------------
>| Adobe Systems Incorporated and the Electronic Frontier
>| Foundation today jointly recommend the release of Russian
>| programmer Dmitry Sklyarov from federal custody.
>|
>| Adobe is also withdrawing its support for the criminal
>| complaint against Dmitry Sklyarov.
>|
>| "We strongly support the DMCA and the enforcement of
>| copyright protection of digital content," said Colleen
>| Pouliot, Senior Vice President and General Counsel for
>| Adobe. "However, the prosecution of this individual in
>| this particular case is not conducive to the best
>| interests of any of the parties involved or the
>| industry. ElcomSoft's Advanced eBook Processor
>| software is no longer available in the United States,
>| and from that perspective the DMCA worked. Adobe will
>| continue to protect its copyright interests and those
>| of its customers."
>`----[ End Quote ]---------------------------
>
>Sadly, this is but a small victory in a big war...The last paragraph
>makes it even more so. But it is a happy thing nonetheless. Perhaps the
>protests should/could continue? We are full steam ahead now, why not
>keep going? --gabe

	Not really. It's a victory for Dimitri, because he gets to go
home, but the DMCA is still in effect, and until there are rulings
from the courts, there will still be people harassed and arrested.

	And further, weak crypto will still spread commercially
because people will be afraid to poke at it, and if they do
poke they won't talk.