Vengeance Against Adobe

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Mon Jul 23 21:43:20 PDT 2001

Right. The organizing tools available to activists nowadays are
substantial. Free software including email-to-web gateways like
mhonarc, front ends based on Slash, mailing lists running majordomo or
mailman, back ends based on MySQL, launch-and-forget websites running
Linux and Slash -- all these allow programmer-activists to launch
online campaigns in minutes.

But the Feds won't back down as readily as Adobe, I wager. They don't
have to worry about what programmers think, they don't have to worry
about what Wall Street thinks (at least DOJ doesn't), they don't have
to worry about slipping revenue in a soft economy and users turning to
non-Adobe tools. In short, they have a different incentive structure
and it's one where programmer-types are much less
influential. Sklyarov is still in jail, and not one legislator has
called for a repeal of the DMCA (one, perhaps, has criticized it
mildly).

In my Wired article that will appear tomorrow, I write:

 That leaves the Free-Dmitry contingent wary of celebrating -- and free
 to target the U.S. government, which may not back down to pressure
 from irate programmers as quickly as a firm that's based in the heart
 of Silicon Valley.

At least there's one consolation for Adobe: They're no alone, and can
take a proud if somewhat humbled seat next to Intel and Microsoft. :)

-Declan