Vengeance Against Adobe

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Mon Jul 23 23:48:55 PDT 2001

On Monday, July 23, 2001, at 11:05 PM, Declan McCullagh wrote:

> True. And I'll agree with you, this time -- I think the Feds
> will, in the end, drop this case, if the protests continue.

And I'll bet the Feds drop it because their corporate backer, Adobe, has
abandoned them.

They don't like to be left twisting slowly in the wind. And the more
Adobe now tries to "spin" their role, the more the Feds are left
twisting.

The AG will likely say "Fuck that noise" (in his own Christian lingo)
and the case will quietly go away.

BTW, I certainly have never argued the case would receive even 1% of the
attention the Wen Ho Lee or Richard Jewel cases got. But it seems to be
getting about the same level of attention that Intel's "processor ID"
proposal got (modulo differences in the issues).

The more lasting effect is not what Joe and Alice Sixpack think of Adobe
("Huh?"), but how it energizes parts of the hacker community. A bunch of
hackers are now likely to expand the cracking of Adobe's ebooks by leaps
and bounds. It'll be a badge of honor....

--Tim May