A question of self-defence - Fire extinguishers & self defence

Jon Beets Jon.Beets at pacer.com
Mon Jul 23 21:24:39 PDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Declan McCullagh" <declan at well.com>
To: "Jim Choate" <ravage at einstein.ssz.com>
Cc: <cypherpunks at einstein.ssz.com>
Sent: Monday, July 23, 2001 10:39 PM
Subject: Re: A question of self-defence - Fire extinguishers & self defence

> On Mon, Jul 23, 2001 at 09:21:59PM -0500, Jim Choate wrote:
> > NATO says it takes a transfer of approx. 85 Joules to kill.
>
> 1. It all depends on where and how it's applied. Give me a scalpel
> and I suspect I can kill you with far less than 85 Joules.
>
> 2. Even if we dismiss point #1 above and assume for the same of
> argument death was impossible, serious injury, blinding, etc. was
> possible. And use of deadly force seems appropriate in cases where
> you have a reasonable belief that you're about to be seriously
> injured, even crippled.
>
> Although Choate does make one point, and that's the guy getting run
> over once or twice. Once I can understand -- the police vehicle
> seems like it's up against a wall in the front. Twice seems unusual
> and worth an explanation.
>
> -Declan

Absolutely.. People make mistakes... People also do things on purpose.. I am
just not the kind of person that automatically assumes someone does anything
on purpose... I have been in alot of intense situations in my career as a
firefighter in the Air Force and I can honestly say people will do the most
stupid things you would have ever imagined in intense situations. I would be
interested to find out what the investigation turns up after this..

Jon Beets
Pacer Communications