Customer service at Anonymizer/Cyberpass/Infonex

Dave Emery die at die.com
Mon Jul 23 18:43:48 PDT 2001

On Mon, Jul 23, 2001 at 08:26:39PM -0000, Dr. Evil wrote:
> Given the fact that the Anonymizer often comes up in Cypherpunk
> contexts, and that many of you are probably reading this list from
> cyberpass.net, which is hosted by Infonex (which is the same company
> as the Anonymizer, all run by Lance Cottrell, I believe) some of you
> may be interested in what Infonex's attitude about customer service
> is, and how they conduct themselves as a business.

	I have been having an interesting problem with my cypherpunks
feed from sirius.infonex.net - twice in the last 3 weeks or so it
has suddenly and without warning started sending me empty email messages
(zero length body) with essentially null headers (none of the normal
email envelope headers and no indication of where the message came
from other than owner_cypherpunks at cyberpass.net).   And all flow of
actual cypherpunks list messages stopped when these anomalous messages
started.   I presume that each null message I got was really meant
to be a cypherpunks list mailing that somehow got trashed - superficially
this looks like an out of space condition in one of the spool queues.

	This condition persisted in one case for 4 or 5 days and in the
most recent case for about 3.  And then things suddently started working
again.

	So indeed their system administration may leave a bit to
be desired - perhaps they are barely afloat financially and can't
pay someone to watch things like space on their server queue file
systems and backups.

--
	Dave Emery N1PRE,  die at die.com  DIE Consulting, Weston, Mass.
PGP fingerprint = 2047/4D7B08D1 DE 6E E1 CC 1F 1D 96 E2  5D 27 BD B0 24 88 C3 18