A proletariat experiment...

Reese reeza at flex.com
Mon Jul 23 19:05:10 PDT 2001

At 03:34 PM 7/23/01, Jim Choate wrote:
 >It looks like the G8 fire extinguisher was of the ~20lb variety. This is
 >the same weight class as the bags of dog food I buy for my dogs. Next time
 >you buy one get a friend to toss 'em back and forth.
 >
 >Then ask yourself, does that mass represent a deadly threat?

Bags of dog food are soft, fire extinguishers aren't.  Why don't you play
full force catch with cans of dog food at 10 feet, instead - no glove, of
course.

 >The reality is that unless they snuck up behind you and hit you in the
 >head a single might break a bone or arm but would not in any way be life
 >threatening.

You really need to go take that exam.

 >If you've got access to skateboard wrist and elbow pads get a real fire
 >extinguisher and try to block it with your hand. It ain't that hard.

The bottle is a little smaller than a 15 lb bottle, of course the 15 lb's
refers to the weight of the bottle itself, it is closer to 50 lbs if it is
fully charged with carbon dioxide (which we have no way to know whether it
it was charged or what it was (once?) charged with).

You really need to back down on this Choate.

Reese