Ashcroft Targets U.S. Cybercrime

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Mon Jul 23 12:00:47 PDT 2001

On Sun, Jul 22, 2001 at 11:28:41PM -0700, Petro wrote:
> 	Will Ashcroft prove to be any different? I don't know.

Don't underestimate institutional bureaucracy or the FBI's
independence.

>A LEO cannot do that *and still be a LEO*. He can
refuse by resigning, but if he simply takes the position that he will
only enforce laws he thinks are constitutional he causes a violation
of one of the fundamental underpinnings of the constitution, that all
people are equal under the law, and that the law is supposed to be
equally applied.

This is wrongheaded and silly. c.f. Reno's announcement that she
would not prosecute under the "no distribution of abortion information"
section of the CDA. Didn't hear anyone screaming then, did ya?

-Declan