DMCA has pushed me to my limit.

Sampo Syreeni decoy at iki.fi
Sun Jul 22 23:32:38 PDT 2001

On Sat, 21 Jul 2001 jamesd at echeque.com wrote:

>In principle, it should be possible to write a stego program that is
>undetectable, provided your enemy has no better models of noise sources in
>the medium than you have.  As far as I know, no one has done this.

This is a point I raised on a watermarking list a while back -- most of the
stego work today is aimed at watermarking/content protection applications,
since that's where the money is. Those applications do not have the sort of
strict demands on deniability that stego used for secret communication has.
Instead of statistical transparency, they aim at perceptual. Instead of
strict deniability, they go for robust detection and difficult removal,
which imply easily caught redundancy in the output. Hence, most of the
steganographic algorithms out there are completely unsuitable for
cypherpunkly use, even when information theory posits steganography squarely
as the kind of race-in-statistics you describe.

Sampo Syreeni, aka decoy, mailto:decoy at iki.fi, gsm: +358-50-5756111