Adobe's Teeth. (Was: Re: [free-sklyarov] Re: Rallies on Monday)

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Sat Jul 21 19:26:52 PDT 2001

On Sat, Jul 21, 2001 at 01:43:08PM -0700, Black Unicorn wrote:
> Adobe's co-founder is easily spooked and Adobe has had it's run-ins with
> violence before.  This event is well publicized and Adobe knows its coming.
> Draw your own conclusions about how Adobe might prepare.  What would you do
> in Adobe's place?  (I know you are suddenly tempted to come up with a witty
> reply.  It's a rhetorical question, smartass).

All this may be true, but it fails to recognize that most
geek-protests (and I have covered many) don't result in high
turnouts. See this anti-DMCA protest, which drew eight marchers:
http://www.mccullagh.org/image/7/dmca-protesters-1.html

Perhaps 15 were marching in front of the Supreme Court when the CDA
was being heard.

Oh, this might be larger, and I suspect it will be. And it makes sense
to consider Adobe's mindset. But the Black Bloc (or the Black Panthers)
this isn't.

-Declan