Adobe's Teeth. (Was: Re: [free-sklyarov] Re: Rallies on Monday)

Steve Schear schear at lvcm.com
Sat Jul 21 15:39:29 PDT 2001

At 01:43 PM 7/21/2001 -0700, Black Unicorn wrote:
> [...]

A lesson not lost of The Founders, many who paid with their lives and their
fortunes even if they did keep their sacred honor.  Even if you are
non-violently demonstrating BU is correct that you still may pay a heavy
price.  You need to decide before you demonstrate: how important this issue
you're protesting is, how far you're willing to take your protests and what
you may be risking in doing so.  Then make preparations accordingly.

All Western countries fear losing the support of their middle class, tax
paying, citizens. To the extent that the Vietnam demonstrations succeeded
it was because they were able to elicit "police riots" in response to what
many felt were mostly non-violent (if not legal) demonstrations and swing
public opinion.  Of course, the release of the Pentagon Papers, which
credibly confirmed \what many of the demonstrators had been saying of U.S.
goals and involvement in S.E. Asia, didn't hurt either.

steve