Ashcroft Targets U.S. Cybercrime

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Sat Jul 21 13:47:50 PDT 2001

At 4:01 PM -0700 7/21/01, John Young wrote:
>Declan:
>
>>The problem with this analysis is that he does not have to be the
>>main commercial beneficiary for the charges to stick.
>
>But, to repeat, why the worker and not his bosses? Is this a way
>for Adobe/FBI/DoJ to signal the interest of its own bosses?
>
>And why are the protests limited to Adobe when the FBI and
>DoJ are doing the dirty work -- well, actually, low-level FBI
>and DoJ? Oops, that's right, don't fuck with workers-pissed-
>at-their-bosses who have the guns which they'd like to turn
>upstairs.

What follows is mostly speculation, as I obviously don't know any of
the people involved.

When I first heard about the DefCon bust of the Russian, my first
question was: "Had there been an arrest warrant issued, or did the
Feds simply look at the list of who was presenting papers or had been
identified otherwise (hotel register, nametags) and then try to find
something to stick them with?"

As for why they busted this Russian in Vegas and not the corporation
owner who, we now hear, was in Seattle, there are several issues:

1. The above point, that maybe they just looked for someone to bust.

2. High profile. DefCon is a good place to bust an Evil Hacker D00d
and get a lot of publicity for the already-scheduled "Cybercrime"
shindig in Silicon Valley a few days later. Lots of press coverage,
lots of guilt-by-association mileage out of it being the DefCon
conference.

3. They probably had no idea the Russian company's owner/manager
happened to be in Seattle. (Just speculation...after all, why would
the FBI know where a corporate officer was? They guy in Vegas was
where the action was.)

There's no law against generating an arrest warrant _after_ a suspect
is seen to be someplace, but it smacks of various unsavory things to
show up a conference and "run the names" so as to look for things
they could seek arrest warrants on.

As Declan and others have said, this may be the last time a DefCon is
held in the U.S. (Not that other countries are necessarily better.
Attendees in Canada may face arrest by the Mounties for hate crimes,
for violating the Teale-Homulka censorship, for working for a
magazine which has broken Canadian laws, etc. And as the Henson case
showed, the Canadian SWAT ninjas are perfectly willing to do a "take
down" when their bosses to the south order it.)

--Tim May

--
Timothy C. May         tcmay at got.net        Corralitos, California
Personal: b.1951/UCSB/Intel '74-'86/retired/investor/motorcycles/guns