Free speech is for whisperers

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Sat Jul 21 12:12:23 PDT 2001

At 12:11 PM -0400 7/21/01, Declan McCullagh wrote:

>This state of affairs creates a mild problem (to go back to the recent
>topic of discussion on cypherpunks) for those who strongly believe in
>the First Amendment when applied to nonprofit or not-for-profit speech
>but less so when it comes to speech that's part of a commercial
>transaction.
>
>For instance, a guy ranting on Usenet, they say, should have free
>speech rights, but the tobacco companies or pharmaceutical companies
>can properly be muzzled. Let's hope Dmitry, a budding capitalist,
>doesn't fall into that same commercial-speech-can-be-regulated
>catchall.

There should be no restrictions on the speech of the ranter on Usenet.

There should be no restrictions on the speech of a political
campaigner. Ergo, both the Republican and Democrat versions of
"campaign reform" are slam dunk violations of the First.

There should be no restrictions on the speech of a tobacco or
pharmaceutical or any other company. Ergo, restrictions on
advertising...you all know the drill.

The cigarette advertising restrictions of the 1960s were a blatant
violation of the First Amendment. Not even the so-called commerce
clause of the Constitution gives government the power to stifle the
speech of a cigarette seller.

Sadly, this and many other restrictions (sometimes bringing in
"interstate commerce" in farfetched ways as an excuse) were not
challenged. Or the courts refused to face up to the real issues.

Now we are in a precarious position of having many forms of speech,
many utterances, subject to various laws. We are not very far away
from banning actual utterances which are in support of unapproved-of
activities. Advertising, advocating illegal substances, hate speech,
dislike speech, speech harmful to children and companion animals, the
list goes on and on.

"You can urge your friends to vote for John McCain in 2004, but if
you spend more than the amount that McCain-Feingold says you may
spend you are a felon."

Free speech is for whisperers, it seems.

So much for "Congress shall make no law..."

--Tim May

--
Timothy C. May         tcmay at got.net        Corralitos, California
Personal: b.1951/UCSB/Intel '74-'86/retired/investor/motorcycles/guns