Denmark bows to U.S., enacts anti-piracy search and seizure law

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Fri Jul 20 11:56:03 PDT 2001

At 2:06 PM -0400 7/20/01, Declan McCullagh wrote:

>http://www.cluebot.com/article.pl?sid=01/06/26/042210
>
>     Denmark Enacts Anti-Piracy Search and Seizure Law
>     posted by vergil on Friday July 20, @10:51AM
>     from the battering-ram-of-the-bsa dept.
>
>     If you needed further proof of the U.S. software industry's global
>     muscle, keep reading. The U.S. government, acting on behalf of
>     American firms, has successfully pressured Denmark to change
>     its laws. A document unearthed by Cluebot.com describes how the new
>     law allows physical searches for supposed copyright infringements
>     "without prior notification."

It's surprising to me that there has not been a major test case in
the U.S. on the growing use of warrantless searches--searches of
houses by the Child Protection Police, searches of businesses by the
Microsoft Protection Police, etc. It's as if the Fourth Amendment is
now "dead letter law" (to coin a phrase).

And while we all know that Europe and Russia are not covered by the
U.S. Constitution, it is unacceptable that the U.S. sends money and
experts to Europe, Russia, and other parts of the world to teach them
to spy on citizens (FBI assistance to Russian security services, for
example), to kill citizens (CIA manuals), and to throw out any
semblance of respect for property (copyright raids).

--Tim May

--
Timothy C. May         tcmay at got.net        Corralitos, California
Personal: b.1951/UCSB/Intel '74-'86/retired/investor/motorcycles/guns