Killing the G8 Anarchists

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Fri Jul 20 11:17:07 PDT 2001

At 11:01 AM -0700 7/20/01, Sandy Sandfort wrote:
>Tim May wrote:
>
>>  WHY AREN'T THE OWNERS OF THESE
>>  PROPERTIES DEFENDING THEIR
>>  PROPERTY?
>>
>>  Why are't shop owners spraying the
>>  looters with automatic weapons fire?
>>
>>  Because, of course, Europeans are
>>  disarmed.
>
>Not entirely true.  If the G8 folks really wanted to avoid "collateral
>damage" they'd hold their meetings in Switzerland or maybe Finland.  I'm
>sure the store and gas station owners would take a VERY dim view of having
>their livelihoods sacrificed to these so-called "anarchists."

True enough, though this in some sense is a quibble. I mean "nearly
all Europeans." There are a few pockets where gun ownership is still
permitted, but the trend in most of Europe is to disarmament of the
citizen-units. (And as Declan pointed out in his message, the cops do
what cops usually do: they pulled back, abandoned the citizen-units
to the mobs, and munched on the Italian version of doughnuts
(biscotti?).

And even in Switzerland, my understanding is that the rifles issued
to each male head of household (maybe single moms, but I doubt it)
are kept IN THE HOUSES, not in shops and businesses and factories.
Some of them might have carried their rifles to their businesses,
though.

(This is what the Korean merchants mostly did. They camped out in
their stores all night and shot from rooftops as looters and
arsonists approached. Interestingly, though t.v. cameras captured
footage of rioters being shot by Koreans, even killed, there were no
attempted prosecutions of these Koreans. Realpolitik meant the dead
rioters were just part of the "57 killed in the L.A. riots." Which is
as it should be.)

I assume this will be the last such Public G8 Extravaganza held in a
major city. Between Seattle, Gothenburg, and now Genoa, the costs are
too high. The taxpayers of Genoa and Italy are stuck with a $110
million security bill, according to CNN. Probably higher. And the
city has been shut down by the preparations. Probably not even much
restaurant business, certainly nothing to compensate the actual
taxpayers.

Having these meetings in "securable" locations, like Davos, makes a
lot more sense.

"Twenty thousand blackshirt "Warriors Against Capitalism" caught in
blizzard on march up to Davos...thousands feared frozen!"

Of course, there is really no need for these kinds of meetings. Putin
is there to beg for more handouts from the G7, the Gay Lobby is
simpering about committing a billion dollars to AIDS research and
needle exchange programs, and the corporate interests are seeking
ways to reduce competition by upstart companies. The more things
change....

--Tim May

--
Timothy C. May         tcmay at got.net        Corralitos, California
Personal: b.1951/UCSB/Intel '74-'86/retired/investor/motorcycles/guns